Wednesday, March 23, 2011

~The Joys of Surgery~

So last week I was having pretty mild pain on my right side. Nothing major, not even enough to warrant much tylenol. Anf then along came Saturday. Saturday night everything on my right side from my groin to may natural waist line just killed me. I ended up with no sleep Saturday night, and not getting out of bed at all on Sunday. Sunday night was the same painful ritual as the night before. I would cry, and cry, unable to find a comfortable position, and unable to even breathe in deeply. So first thing Monday morning I called the multicare nursing line, and she told me to get dressed and go straight to see Dr Majors. If he couldn't see me fist thing I was to go to the ER at Good Sam. Well, we go to Dr Major's office, and though he couldn't get me in right at 915a he could get me in at 1030a, so we ran and got breakfast and headed back. He checked Eme's heart rate which was just fine, and started thinking that it could very well be my appendix. So he called Puyallup Surgical Consultants, and sent us straight over to see Dr King. Dr King felt around a bunch on my stomach, and thought the same thing, so he sent us to Good Sam to check into labor and delivery to get checked in and set up so that they could do an ultrasound. Everything was so surreal at this point. I was banded, checked in to a room in the Family Birthing Center, and told to just rest until they did the ultrasound. It was funny because the new patient tower at Good Sam is SO new that it took 3 or 4 women to get us wheeled to the right room! We got into have the ultrasound, and the technician started with looking at Emerson, making sure whatever it was hurting me wasn't hurting her as well. She put the doppler on my stomach and Eme went crazy showing off. First shot was a PERFECT shot of her face. so perfect that we could see that she has my chin! She would lay there and swallow, and breathr through her mouth, and it was precious. First ultrasound of her that made me cry, it was awesome! Then they went to look at my appendix, and they actually couldn't even see it because of what they thought was my right ovary. It was HUGE! The size of a tennis ball! They assured me that I'd be able to have almost the exact fertility rate if they did remove it, and sent us back to the room. Dr. King came in and informed us that they would be removing the right ovary either that night or the next morning. And there was no fear in me. I just wanted whatever was hurting me out before it could hurt Eme. I called Sarah to let her know that i in fact wouldn't be at work on Tuesday due to surgery, and while we were chatting the nurse came in and hooked me up to an IV telling me that in 2 short hours time i'd be in surgery. Awesome. Robyn and mom got here first, so they got to join us in Pre-Op, and see them get me all prepped for surgery, which was cool to have Robyn there, because she's my sister in law, and I love her so much, and to know that she dropped everything to be there for me was so sweet! I went into surgery at 630p and woke up before 8p. I heard voices and could kind of see that i was in Post - Op, and I heard Dr Majors tell me that I still had my right ovary and appendix, but that he removed a tennis ball sized fibrous tumor from the outside of my uterus. what?? no cancer worries or scares, apparently these are very common for pregnant women, but they don't always get so big, and therefore the pain isn't intolerable. And once the baby's born they just go away. Mine was a doesy. Anyway, I'm listening to him tell me this, and then I saw Josh and Owen. They came to say hi and tell me they loved me. I almost cried when I saw Owen. I knew I would see Josh, but to get to have my 4 yr old nephew come see me too was too much. A bunch of my family was there waiting for me, along with a couple friends. They brought me back to my room, and I crashed. I've spent the last couple days just kind of in and out of consciousness. Last night was the first incident of getting out of bed to go to the bathroom or to walk that didn't end in dry heaves, thank God! I wish I could put into words how incredible Josh has been through this. He sleeps on the couch in here every night, and is here for me with ANYTHING i need. The nurses keep telling me how lucky I am to have him, because they rarely see men help their wives out so much. The staff here has been fabulous. Michelle brought me in her DVD player and about a million movies to choose from to watch. Amber came by yesterday, Lindsey today. Angie came by yesterday afternoon only for me to fall asleep mid conversation with her. I did the same thing last night to my mom, my cousin katie, and friend Molly. Good times! But everybody's been really understanding. Sarah and Zach even brought flowers and chocolate milk (a pregnancy staple for both me and Sarah) and sour skittles for when i can have regular solid foods. Everybody 's been so great. The nursing staff here has been so fabulous. If it wasn't for the 20 staples in my groin area, I'd honestly feel like I was at a 5 star hotel. Nice to know that when we come back to have Emerson we'll get to see some of these amazing ladies again!

There is a great possibility that I get to go home tomorrow, and hallelujah! I finally get to shower this afternoon! i can't wait for that! :-) What a ride, huh?

No comments: